Camping in your car can be a lot of fun if you have made the right preparations.
Car camping is becoming a big trend, and it’s no wonder. It’s all the fun of a camping adventure without the hassle of a tent. SUVs and minivans are perfect for car camping. If you’ve got an itch to travel and want to keep costs to a minimum, car camping can be a great alternative to traditional lodging. With that in mind, we here at Posner Park Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat have compiled a few tips for your car camping adventure.
- Bedding matters! The first rule of car camping is to have adequate bedding, otherwise you’re liable to be uncomfortable all night. You want to make sure your bedding will adequately insulate you, too. A cold weather sleeping bag is good to have, and if you have the space a thick sleeping pad or blow-up air mattress can make your vehicle cozy and comfy. A wool blanket underneath your bedding will help keep the cold from rising to you.
- Crack a window. Moisture will build up in your vehicle. Cracking a window helps dissipate moisture, keeping you warmer.
- Don’t use your lights. Pack a lantern or headlamp for use while parked. Relying on your car’s interior lights can kill the battery.
- Sunshades are great. Sunshades block out the sun, so you aren’t awakened at dawn, and they can be insulative. There is a reflective, insulative material called Reflectix that is sold by the roll and can be cut to fit your windows.
- Hot water bottles makes great heat. Simply boil some extra water with your dinner and make your own hot water bottles. Tuck them into your sleeping bag to keep you extra toasty as you drift off to sleep.
- Carry toilet paper. You may need it if you are using unstaffed facilities or nature.
- Go on a test run first. Before you head out on a major excursion, take a small trip close to home to make sure car camping is for you. If you don’t like it, you can always go home in the middle of the night.
We hope this has given you some food for thought and sparked an adventurous light in you. When you’re ready to get into a new SUV for more fun and adventure, come on down to Posner Park Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat. We have a great selection of new and pre-owned vehicles. We’re conveniently located in Polk County, between Tampa and Orlando.